Author Topic: EQ perhaps causing Latency and doesn't seem to be compensated  (Read 30442 times)

rhendry

• Newbie+
EQ perhaps causing Latency and doesn't seem to be compensated
« on: August 11, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »
Hey 112db

The EQ is causing delay which is not being compensated for.  I am passing a simple bass line through it and whilst its subtle there is a noticeable late shift in the groove. It became obvious when I played notes manually from the keyboard.

Nothing else running except for a kik drum from the Drumazon plugin, Cubase's Monolouge VSTI and the Redline EQ. If I bypass the plugin completely the delay is gone.  Im aware this could be a Cubase issue but throught I should let you know any way.  It doesn't happen with the Reverb

OSX 10.5.7
Cubase 5 (latest update)
Apogee Duet

rhendry

• Newbie+
Re: EQ perhaps causing Latency and doesn't seem to be compensated
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:04 PM »
Incidentally, I really like the auto volume compensation. Makes me much less wary of pushing the envelope with this EQ.  Something I used to do a lot more of when I used analog consoles. Great!

Although I have only had a matter of a couple of hours with the EQ, it already sounds highly useable. I like the interface very much.

Off Topic
The 'Whispering Gallery' preset on the reverb is an excellent large reverb. Really shows off the plugs abilities.

EddieR

• Newbie+
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
I'm having the same problem I ran it thru a kick drum and there is definitly a latency problem.
Other than that I really like this eq hope you guys can fix this latency issue
system specs win xp,cubase 5(latest version) NI audio kontrol(latest drivers)

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »
Strange... what does Cubase report for the plugin latency?  (Devices > Plugin Information) 

I just checked to make 100% sure (though admittedly with Cubase 4) but the latency is properly compensated for here, so either it's something specific to Cubase 5 or there's just something fishy going on.  Any other users with Cubase 4 or 5 care to chime in?

Thanks,

-- dj!

rhendry

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 03:00:16 PM »
DJ,

Latency in Cubase 5 = 3072.
Thats pretty high which Im sure you will address.

I have a question though: Even though thats high shouldnt the DAW auto compensate for it.?

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »
That is strange because yes, 3072 is the correct latency--unfortunately there is no way around that because any Linear Phase EQ requires that kind of latency.  I have no idea why Cubase 5 doesn't compensate, it shd be perfectly able to (and Cubase 4 does like a charm). 

I'll try to somehow look into this... is there any chance this is in fact a bug in Cubase?  Do you have any other plugins with high latency that you could try?

Thanks,

-- dj!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:11:20 PM by dj! »

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »
Not sure if this is the cause but it never hurts to try... from what I understand the PDC (Plugin Delay Compensation) in Cubase 5 can be turned on and off with a button top left of the arrange window.  Could that be it?

-- dj!

rhendry

• Newbie+
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 12:43:17 AM »
Hi DJ,

restraining delay compensation bypasses the plugin (it actually switches it off) and then the delay is gone.  I cant recall seeing this behaviour before  then again in all my use of Cubase I have only ever turned off the delay compensation just to see what would happen. In logic the low latency mode will turn off high latency plugins.

It could very well be an issue  with Cubase 5  but then again I cant recall this with other plugins I have.

EddieR

• Newbie+
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »
finally got to try it again and the same thing happened to me with the compensation on or off and i also tried it in Cubase4 and there is latency there also  but when i turn on the compensation the eq will not turn off like it does on cubase5

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
I think I'm onto something wrt to the latency sometimes not being compensated in Cubase 4/5... I'll try to upload a beta build tomorrow.

Take care,

-- dj!

rhendry

• Newbie+
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Hi DJ,

Dont put your self out or anything on my account.  To be honest I do like teh EQ, but because of the high latency it wouldnt be much use to me as I write songs and mix as I go along and I tend to avoid plugins that have high latency except when at the very final mastering stage.  But I guess it is something you would probably need to have a lokk at for other users of Cubase 5

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »
Don't worry, this is something that needs to be fixed no matter what.  But thanks all the same!  :)

-- dj!

EddieR

• Newbie+
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
its working great now!!!! with the update thanks

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
Cool, good to hear that & thanks for letting me know!

-- dj!

mattyc

• Newbie+
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »
hi there i have the demo of 1.02, its fantastic and i would really like to buy it and make it my go-to EQ !

but im having problems with latency in cubase 5.0.1, osx 10.5.8, on a mac pro

im wondering if the full version rather than the demo would get rid of my latency issues ??

if i can get around this latency problem ill be buying straight away !!

any help would be appreciated :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:23:11 AM by mattyc »

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB