Author Topic: Redline EQ  (Read 13722 times)

Emeth

• Newbie+
Redline EQ
« on: August 13, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
Redline EQ gives off loud stutters while loading during playback in Reaper 3.06. When attempting to add a numerical value to a specific band instead of moving the nob, EQ freezes and thus makes it impossible to change values in precise manner, the whole GUI goes on ice but doesn't crash the host. I will keep adding as I find.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:35:55 AM by Emeth »

dj!

• 112dB
Re: Redline EQ
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:41:08 AM »
What operating system are you on?  The numerical value bug has been reported by others but I haven't been able to reproduce this on any of my systems, so any specific system info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-- dj!

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:54:08 AM »
Toshiba Qosmio G40-108 upgraded to 4GB of RAM (Look up their website for detailed specs), Vista SP2 optimised for Pro Audio (all usless services turned off), a rock solid platform ;). I use Motu 828MKIII and ASIO4ALL for Audio processing. A mobile production house. All latest and stable drivers. Let me know if you need more info.

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »
The stuttering looks like a Reaper bug--even if I modify Redline EQ so as to just pass back the input sound without ANY processing the stuttering still happens.  I suggest you take this up with Cockos, they can contact me about this if that'd be helpful.

The numerical value entry I cannot for the life of me reproduce here--Reaper 3.06, Vista SP2 as well.  You insert the EQ as a track FX, double click a knob, and the entire GUI hangs?  Is that what happens?

Thanks,

-- dj!

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:31:31 AM »
I have over 60 3rd party plugins running on Reaper (now v3.1) without a glitch. I can't see how u can be efficient on weeding out the bugs if u don't have enough gear for debugging. Your eq is the only one that does this type of behaviour. Now I am a reasonable guy. I voiced my concerns about the stability of your products on KVR, you assured me that you are capable to provide solutions. It's up to you to find a machine that will reproduce this bug, now you asking me to write to Cockos. I went and bought your product trusting you would deliver on your promise, instead you pass me on. It freezes and pushes cpu cycles up to 50% when I double click the nob, and that's that. Yes it freezes and stutters not only when loading but also between the selection of plugins in the chain, it goes into stutter while reloading its GUI.. If Reaper is the problem as you say then all of my other plugs should stutter and freeze? :o I will ask Schwa or Justin what they think of it. But by judging the state of Morgana today I think you need a good cup of tea in the morning and think it through again ::)
Have I wasted my money? ??? Anyway I'm baffled. How can you code such amazing plugs and have a hole in your pocket when it comes to debugging. I wish you well dj! Sort it out dude ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 02:24:19 AM by Emeth »

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:23:44 AM »
Ok, I didn't realize my reply gave the impression that I'm just shrugging this off--sorry, that wasn't (and isn't) my intention at all.  I did spend a couple of hours trying to figure out the cause of the stuttering in Reaper, but eventually reached the conclusion that it's not Redline EQ that's doing it.  I'm pretty sure that something about the combination of Redline and Reaper causes Reaper to mess up the audio while instantiating the plugin.  Of course it's somehow related to Redline but it's not something in the code that I can just magically adjust to make the problem go away.

Anyway I'm in contact with Cockos about this and we're troubleshooting for a solution.  Stay tuned and this problem shd be gone soon.

If Reaper is the problem as you say then all of my other plugs should stutter and freeze?

Of course not.  But then again the problem happens *only* in Reaper.  By your argumentation, if Redline EQ was the problem then all hosts shd suffer from this--which isn't the case either.  When it comes to software that kind of logic simply doesn't apply.  It's not Redline's or Reaper's fault per se, it's a bug that surfaces when they're in combination, and let me reiterate that we (112dB+Cockos) are working hard on solving this.

Take care,

-- dj!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:30:00 AM by dj! »

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »
Thanx dj. It's cool. I'm only like that coz I care and want to help. I could have stayed with the demo for 60 days then dump it if it did not get fixed by then, but, I trusted u and bought this blooody thing (rename it to bloodline). So yes it's more personal, in the end problems aside you've made awesome eq, once bugs gone I'll sing its glory on forums. But 1st I've got to become a believer myself.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:18:48 PM by Emeth »

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
Thanks, and get ready to start singing--John Schwartz of Cockos diagnosed the problem and suggested a workaround.  It turned out to be a deprecated part of the VST specification that Reaper relies on; I added support for that and it made the problem go away here.  Will upload a beta build for you to try in a short while.

And another edit: apologies to Cockos, I misread one word in the VST docs--it turns out only part of the VST specification that this was about is deprecated.  My bad.

The numerical value entry I still need to figure out.  It would be a lot easier if only I could reproduce it here but even so I'll keep digging.

Take care,

-- dj!

Edit: the beta is up, go get it here--this one shd fix the stuttering problem in Reaper.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:54:25 PM by dj! »

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »
Get the latest Reaper v3.101 for testing, these are happy days for Reaper users, you need a community like that, then your plugs won't get as much bashing, coz really that's how it should be, check out our forum pages, I've posted the bug and today Schwa replied with solution. I love them guys to tears, how sencere and hardworking they are, today I felt like upgrading to full commercial license even though I don't make money making music myself and so well within non-comercial limits, I help new artists free of charge too and get a kick out of seeing them sparkle. You are very talanted developer that needs great community. Just an opinion ;D

ps. I'll download the beta plug to test when I get home.

Peace

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 12:25:21 AM »
dj, good work the stutter is gone, now the numerics freeze has got to go too, it's not like I have an odd pc, mine is a flagship product by Toshiba with the best specs, others have this issue as well. See the pic http://i29.tinypic.com/i2vzn8.jpg for yourself besides freezing and clocking up cpu cycles it also generaly gives cpu spikes when tweaking the nobs etc. What do you need from me to get this going?

ps: to give it more mastering edge m/s functions with mono/stereo maker would place it on par with bx_digital which is awesome. Just an old idea.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:37:35 AM by Emeth »

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
There's a new beta build up that may or may not fix the numeric entry issue.  May not because I can't reproduce the problem on any of my test machines so it's a shot in the dark really.

Let me know what happens,

-- dj!

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »
That's my man ;D, You can shoot in the dark & hit the target, wow :o, mama! I'm scared of this guy.

Sorted dj, take a day off, you deserve it :D

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:24:13 PM by Emeth »

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »
dj, the Console 1073 priset is a bit odd, only one low band actually set to it, the rest are on 1081 algos. Can't see y u did it this way? Also check if mettering is properly callibrated, cos as an insert on my drum track eq shows below 0db while daw meters show +1.4db in the red, thats with autogain & dynamic enabled.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 05:00:31 PM by Emeth »

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »
Yes, that's a silly mistake.  If it bothers you simply change the EQ types of the bands, then right click on the Preset name > Presets library > Save as default presets.  If it doesn't the next maintenance release will fix this.

The metering I can't really explain--I just checked to make sure and it's spot on here?

Thanks for the report!

-- dj!

Emeth

• Newbie+
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
Yes, that's a silly mistake.  If it bothers you simply change the EQ types of the bands, then right click on the Preset name > Presets library > Save as default presets.  If it doesn't the next maintenance release will fix this.

The metering I can't really explain--I just checked to make sure and it's spot on here?

Thanks for the report!

-- dj!

The preset doesn't hurt. It'd be better however when it fixed. As for metering I've been carefully analising how other plugs compare in relation to native metering, it's the way Reaper reads audio, it will clip at 0dB, this is fine for me, coz my ears usually detect distortion from -3 to 0dB (analogue ears) so it works for me, as for the rest so far so good no issues (touch concrete wall) ;D

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB