Author Topic: Volume Bug  (Read 14522 times)

TomSwitz

• Newbie+
Volume Bug
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
hi

i'm working with a macbook pro 2,33, osx.5.8, Live 8.1 and when inserting Redline Monitor (either AU or VST) on the master track the volume rises by default about +7db!! changing any settings doesn't help. when dim is turned off the volume rises at +10db!

thanks.

tom

edit:
any chance to download somewhere version 1.0.2 again? since this version worked fine for me, but i don't have it anymore.

edit2:
found it! copied download link and changed manually from 1.0.3 to 1.0.2.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:19:28 PM by TomSwitz »

belowski

• Newbie+
Re: Volume Bug
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
same problem here, OSX10.6.2 mbp2,53  Logic9.02
no experience with the 1.0.2 version i just purchased the Redline monitor,so i only can tell you about version 1.0.3

thanks
Rogier

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »
Not sure what's happening but I'll check into it and report back here!

-- dj!

chas

• Newbie+
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 06:25:23 AM »
Yup same here.  Nasty nasty clipping as soon as I enable the plug.  Would really like for this thing to work!

I'm on Logic 8.0.2 on OSX 10.4.11, using latest monitor version (1.0.3)

natallica

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
I just downloaded the demo (v1.0.3) and have the same issue in Logic 9.1.0 and Live 8.1.1.  :-(

-- N

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:34:59 AM »
Sorry for the delay, a maintenance build that solves this is coming up.

Take care,

-- dj!

chas

• Newbie+
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »
Any word on this?

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:38:56 AM »
The update is essentially ready but it needs a bit of testing still and I'm currently on a short trip.  With some luck, next week.  With less luck, the week thereafter. :)

Take care,

-- dj!

chas

• Newbie+
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 05:38:11 AM »
Hey DJ-
  I downloaded the newest version of monitor; it's still causing a volume increase of around 3db on Logic 8.0.2 in OSX 10.4.11.  When placing as the last plug in my master chain, it is causing my meter to clip.  Turning on the -3db dim helps to some degree, but I kind of see this as a broken fix.  This plug isn't meant to affect the levels to that degree, is it?

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:38:24 AM »
Level increases up to 3dB (especially with a complex signal or an entire mix) are expected and definitely within "specifications".

To understand why you need to know a thing or two about digital metering, but the main point is that Redline Monitor changes the phase content of the audio.  While this affects neither the perceived sound level nor analog-style levels (such as VU or RMS meters), it *will* change the reading of digital peak meters.  (Most often an increase but depending on the audio a decrease is possible as well.)

This is not a bug in our implementation but a known byproduct of changing the phase content, and a general issue that occurs with most digital audio processing.  (All digital EQs suffer from the same problem unless they're linear phase.)  The reason why it's so "obvious" with Redline Monitor is because its processing is intended to be more or less transparent--it doesn't boost or cut frequencies.

I hope this helps understand what's going on and why this behavior is considered "normal".

Take care,

-- dj!

chas

• Newbie+
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 01:32:20 AM »
Ok, understood.  Although I think that makes mixing through headphones a little wonky, when one of the cardinal rules is being broken (skewed?) outright.  Advice on how to "mix" and get around the fact that this plug sends the master meter into the red?  It's a mixed signal (no pun intended).  I would say maybe just ignore the clipping until the end, when the monitor plug comes off, but that still seems a little funky also.

Here's my issue: my demo license expires in 6 days (just got the warning) and I feel like I have not had enough time to actually test drive this thing.  For the first month or so there was an *actual* volume bug, and until I read your post, there has been a *perceived* volume bug (if I had your explanation upon initial launch, I would have used it in spite of the fact that it sent my master meter into the red; esp after the software had just recovered from a pretty nasty bug).

It's hard to justify purchase of a plug that I haven't really gotten to try out that much.  Sayin'

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 07:37:42 AM »
Definitely, I hear you.  For the time being I'd recommend mixing with the plugin set at -3dB so it peaks around 0dB.  In the worst case the mix with Monitor bypassed will be around -3dB, which (assuming you're mixing using 24 or 32 bits) shdn't be any problem at all--in fact many mastering engineers recommend leaving some headroom in final pre-mastered mixes.

But I do understand your concerns, and rest assured that we'll try to find a better way to deal with the level differences.  Somehow. :)

As for the demo license, drop me a line at support@[lotsofdB].com and we'll gladly accommodate you for another 60 days.

Take care,

-- dj!

L-ROX

• Newbie+
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:23 PM »
Hi, an attenuator control would be ideal (as opposed to a -3db or other fixed pad); this way users can cut the exact gain introduced into their processing chains.

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »
Rest assured that for either an update or v2 we're planning a proper attenuation control at the very least--possibly something both easier and cleverer.

-- dj!

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB