Author Topic: [Solved] Anyone else experience crashes on Cubase (x64)?  (Read 37384 times)

niles

• Beta Tester
[Solved] Anyone else experience crashes on Cubase (x64)?
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »
Currently I'm demoing 112db's Big Blue Compressor and Big Blue Limiter and I ran in to some trouble when using the 64 bit versions in 64 bit Cubase (same goes for the 64bit version Redline Reverb).

The problem:
When opening the editor (GUI) of Big Blue Compressor, Big Blue Limiter and Redline Reverb in a project with a big memory footprint (>2.5GB) the plugins will cause Cubase to make an error and eventually crashes the DAW.

I've contacted with 112db and received some great support. Unfortunately they can't seem to reproduce the crash I experience. So we decided to open a thread to see if any other Cubase users are affected or if this problem is system specific.

So please, if someone uses these VST's, would you be so kind to do the following test.
Thanks in advance!

Reproducible steps (important to exactly follow these steps):

• Open a project with a high memory footprint (e.g. >2.5 GB, be sure not to stress your system and keep some headroom in your memory usage to avoid crashes caused by heavy system load).
  • Be sure the Big Blue Limiter or Compressor isn't or was already present in the project.
  • Load the Big Blue Limiter or Compressor in an empty non-used insert.
  • Enter the editor (GUI) of the plugin.

Result on my system is a repeating crash (see the videos below).
If it doesn't crash on your system with the test above it would be very much appreciated if you could drop a line + your systems specs and OS.

The interesting thing is, when I open the Big Blue Limiter or Compressor in an already used slot (by another plugin), it won't crash the daw.

Another interesting fact is: When I use the 32 bit version (jBridged) the behaviour is normal, so without crashes. When I use the 32 bit version with Cubase's bit bridge the DAW doesn't crash either, but the GUI is blank (behaviour we know from Cubase's 64 to 32 bit bridge).

So it seems it has something to do with Big Blue Compressor, Limiter and Redline Reverb's 64 bit instance in combination with (high) memory usage in Cubase.

I've shot some videos of the behaviour.

112db Big Blue Compressor in Cubase - Crash in unused insert (the video shows Cubase 6.5.2 version, but currently the behaviour on 6.5.3 is the same)

112db Big Blue Compressor in Cubase - Normal behaviour in used insert + crash when used in empty insert.

112db Big Blue Compressor in Cubase - Normal behaviour when All VST are unloaded (Low memory usage)

Additional info:
When I use the Big Blue Compressor or Limiter in another 64 bit host (Machine) with a high memory footprint, it wont crash the host.

When I use the 64 bit version in a Cubase project with a lower footprint (<1.9 GB) the VST doesn't cause the DAW to crash when opening the GUI (3rd video).

Using other plugins never lead to crashes in Cubase projects on my system.

I also opened a thread @ Steinberg's forum
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:53:16 PM by niles »

nousch

• Administrator
Re: Anyone else experience crashes on Cubase (x64)?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »
Thanks for this very detailed post! Don't think I have to mention it, but any information that can help us to reproduce this here is highly appreciated.

--nousch

neilwilkes

• Beta Tester
    • Opus Productions Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:44:31 AM »
Hi Niles.
Just ordered a new DAW, which will be fully 64-bit capable andwill have both Cubase 6 & 6.5 as well as Nuendo 5 & 5.5 installed.
Can I please ask you what your current OS is, and how much system RAM you have installed??

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »
Hello Neil,

Sorry, I haven't included my system specs.
Here they are:

Hardware: ASUS P9X79, i7-3930K, 16GB, HD6450, 3x HD103SJ, RME AIO, RME Multiface
Host Software: Cubase 6.5.4
Controllers: AKAI MPK49, Frontier design Alphatrack, NI Maschine Mikro.

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
Just ordered a new DAW, which will be fully 64-bit capable andwill have both Cubase 6 & 6.5 as well as Nuendo 5 & 5.5 installed.
Can I please ask you what your current OS is, and how much system RAM you have installed??
Hello Neil, I was just wondering if you had the chance to check out the 64bit versions with your new rig?
Does it all work as expected?

Cheers!

Captain Nemo

• Newbie+
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
OK Niles, I've now mailed 112dB Support regarding the same issue in Cubase 64Bit with Redline Reverb.

Nouch them knows about it.

Two things that I may add is that:

1. If I insert Redline Rev into an insert slot (previously occupied by another plug-in), mine however does give a cascading error as well.

2. Although the the Redline Rev does not crash Cubase if I do not open the GUI (as yours), it intermittently mutes that track. (If I loop a small audio event, 7 out of 10 times it will mute a small part of the event. it is as if the sound disappears briefly and then comes back).

ps: I wonder if it's got something to do with a previously installed demo version... I say so because of the intermittent muting of the track.

neilwilkes

• Beta Tester
    • Opus Productions Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »
Hello Neil, I was just wondering if you had the chance to check out the 64bit versions with your new rig?
Does it all work as expected?

Cheers!

Will be testing this later today with RedLine PreAmp & EQ (Don't have the Reverb).

Captain Nemo

• Newbie+
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:00:01 AM »
::)Just checking in. I just had a crash again.

I was not thinking, and "accidently" opened the Redline Reverb GUI in my huge project in Cubase 64 - got the usual cascading error and Win 7's "cling-cling-cling" sounds. I'll revert to 32Bit for mixing that specific instrument...

Niles, so?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 12:02:53 AM by Captain Nemo »

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »
I was not thinking, and "accidently" opened the Redline Reverb GUI in my huge project in Cubase 64 - got the usual cascading error and Win 7's "cling-cling-cling" sounds. I'll revert to 32Bit for mixing that specific instrument...

I didn't hear anything yet. But I guess in these times of holiday it will take some time.
If you happen to have jBridge you could also bridge the 32 bit version to use in your 64 bit project in the meantime. Strangely enough that combination is stable for me when testing. AFAIK the 32 bit bridge of Cubase 6.x won't bridge correctly (blank VST GUI).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:58:29 AM by niles »

neilwilkes

• Beta Tester
    • Opus Productions Ltd
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »
Interesting.
I am also having problems with any of the 32-bit versions in both Cubase & Nuendo.
The EQ will load, but that is the end of the project as it will almost certainly show as corrupted at some point. Ditto the PreAmp.
I do not get blank GUI, although they are definitely initialized as grey, but give the GUI a second or so later.

Captain Nemo

• Newbie+
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
Niles

Yes, I have jBridge!

Up until now I've been stubborn not to use the 32bit version in my 64bit Cubase with jBridge.
But with the same old thing happening (Redline 64bit crashing large Cubase Project when opening GUI), I will now jBridge the 32-bit for 64-bit use.

But my "work-around" does not resolve the issue with this great product.

So, to confirm (to "all out there"),  the status quo remains: Redline Reverb 64-bit crashes large Cubase projects.

neilwilkes

• Beta Tester
    • Opus Productions Ltd
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »

So, to confirm (to "all out there"),  the status quo remains: Redline Reverb 64-bit crashes large Cubase projects.

What 64-bit version of Redline Reverb? It does not exist for PC, all you can do is bridge the 32-bit version and bridging is a cobble.......BBC 64-bit works great though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:50:36 PM by neilwilkes »

nousch

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
Maybe you should download the latest version  :)

http://112db.com/redline/reverb/?latest

btw MAC 64 bit took a bit more time then expected (as always...), but we're having a look at the Windows-version this week .

nousch

neilwilkes

• Beta Tester
    • Opus Productions Ltd
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
Maybe you should download the latest version  :)

http://112db.com/redline/reverb/?latest

btw MAC 64 bit took a bit more time then expected (as always...), but we're having a look at the Windows-version this week .

nousch

Who?
Me?

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »
Who?
Me?

Yep, Redline Reverb 1.0.6 is 64 bit for PC  ;)

BBC 64-bit works great though.

Are you saying you don't experience crashes in projects with a memory footprint of > 2.5GB in Cubase 6.5.x?

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB